China Plays Smart- 91% Of Gwadar Port’s Revenue Would Go To China For 40 Years

0
343

For the next 40 years, China will be going to acquire the 91 percent of the revenues from the Gwadar port as a part of China-Pakistan Economic Corridor. The remaining 9 percent of the revenue will be acquired by Gwadar Port authority. Federal Minister of Ports and Shipping Mir Hasil Bizenjo disclosed the revenue share and expressed concern over the secrecy surrounding the CPEC long-term agreement plan that goes in the favor of China.

As per the statement of Minister, the agreement relied on a transfer model and a build-operate spread over 40 years.

Gwadar Port

Although the ruling Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) senator Kalsoom Parvin said that the agreement was not signed on the basis of equality as had been done with India. He convened a meeting of Senate President Raza Rabbani in which all related departments will be asked to sign the treaty. However, it indicated that CPE already has two committees, including a Senate Committee and a parliamentary panel. He advised the CPEC to raise this issue in the Senate Committee.

As per the view of Senator Sardar Azam Musakhel, who is the Senator of Pakhtunkhwa Mili Awami Party (PKMAP), mourned that the two committees were not the chairmen of Balochistan, and alleged that they had given ‘concession’ to China. While, Mohanin Aziz, the senator of the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf, emphasized that the business community should be involved in signing such trade agreements, a work which they claimed that not to bureaucrats with a business-savvy person.

Gwadar Port, Baluchistan

PML-N Senator Javed Abbasi, however, defended the deal and said that it will make Pakistan very profitable. He said that under the CPEC, power projects can reduce the serious energy crisis of Pakistan. He told that most of the power projects will be made in Balochistan and Sindh. He also said that this project will invest $ 56 billion in Pakistan. He said that CPEC includes infrastructure sectors along with employment opportunities.

Speaking at one point of the order, the Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) senator Farhatullah Babar warned the security minister that he was involved in Islamic Military Counter Terrorism Coalition (IMCTC). He reminded the government that the Defence Minister assured the house that before sharing the decision, he would share the terms of reference for participation in the alliance with the Senate.

Gwadar Port

While Senator Rabbani said that the Foreign Minister had earlier assured that the house would be taken on board before the govt. became a party to any such project with the Saudi-led military treaty.

On the other hand, Senator Usman Khan Kakar of the PkMAP said that there is a threat to parliamentary system to pass the bill, “Parliament is facing a threat from people who had never accepted this system.”

Senator Azam Musakhel stated that the bill couldn’t be passed for the third consecutive time, and every time members go missing from the discussion. Senator Rabbani asked the government providing complete information during the in-camera proceedings. He also observed that “it was a sorry state of affairs.”

Comments

comments