Indo-Tibetan Border Police or ITBP is one of the five Central Armed Police Force(CrPF) charged with security and protection of India-Tibet border. It was raised on 24 October 1962, under the CRPF Act, in the wake of the Sino-Indian War of 1962. It is a multi-dimensional force whose primary task is to guard the northern borders, detection and prevention of border violations, and promotion of the sense of security among the local populace.
ITBP engages in a variety of internal security tasks including providing security to sensitive installations and threatened VIPs, Civil Medical Camp, disaster management, nuclear, biological and chemical disasters, and UN peacekeeping missions around the world. ITBP Personals also known as “Himveer”.
We present some Lesser know facts about our own Himveer. Let’s see how much you know about ITBP.
1. ITBP are deployed on border guard duties from Karakoram Pass in Ladakh to Diphu La in Arunachal Pradesh, covering 3488 km of the India-China border. Their manned post are at altitudes as high as 21,000 feet (6,400 m) in the western, middle & eastern sector of the border.
2. ITBP has first and only women snipers batch in India. They also raised a women battalions named ‘Jhansi ki Rani’ which guards border at Mana Pass Valley.
3. ITBP works under the supervision of Union Ministry of Home Affairs. Presently, it has strong force of about 50,000 personnel to secure the 3,488 km border with China along Tibet Autonomous Region.
4. The motto of the ITBP, Shaurya, dridata, karm nishtha (Valour, determination, devotion to duty) motivates it’s men to accept challenges and to bring glory to the nation and honour to the force.
5. ITBP has earned a number of Civil and Service honours, and decorations like Padma Shree – 2, Shaurya Chakra – 1, Sena Medal – 1, President’s Police Medal for Gallantry – 3, Police Medal for Gallantry – 44, President’s Police Medal for Distinguished Service – 63, Police Medal for Meritorious Service – 292 and the Prime Minister’s Life Saving Medal – 54.
6. The ITBP is trained in Civil Medical Camp, disaster management, and nuclear, biological and chemical disasters. ITBP personnel have been deployed abroad in UN peacekeeping missions all over the world. Two battalions of ITBP are deputed to National Disaster Response Force.
7. ITBP Commando units provide security to the embassy and consulates of India in Afghanistan. Besides this two Companies of the ITBP are providing security to Afghanistan.
8. Every ITBPian is trained in mountaineering and skiing(how cool is that).
9. ITBP was first headed by Inspector General ‘Balbir Singh’.