There is no doubt that India has the most prestigious, efficient, intelligent, brave,kind and a huge defence system in the world. We have people who dream of serving the defence services unlike some other countries where people are forced to serve for their Nation. We have a defence system full of patriots, which is the main reason why our defence services are so afficient and trusted so much by the people of our country.
The best thing about our defense services is, that they believe in gender equality. Woman are treated equally as men in the Indian defense services. They can aspire for a great career into defence and serve equally along with the men. There are great examples of woman achievements into defence. And taking under consideration their dedication and strong wills, defence services took some major decisions like, first batch of women pilots was introduced to the Indian Air Force (IAF) into its fighters squadron, army has planed on allowing women for combat roles. So soon the enemy fronts will be guarded by the brave women warriors of our country.
So any women dreaming to aspire a career into this prestigious organisation of our Nation, should definitely possess these Eight qualities which are discussed below.
1. Positive thinking: This is the most important quality you must have to crack not only SSB (Service Selection Board), but also any other exam. Optimistic thinking helps in generation of greater will power. Defence is a kind of service, where in there are no luxurious paths with flowers and silk laid for you on it. It is all full of thorns and hardships, and to get pass through these obstacles even when you are exhausted and drained out of stamina, will power is the thing that helps you to keep going and that only comes to you when you have that extremely powerful positive attitude in you. You wont be fighting for yourself there, you will be fighting for our Nation and having responsibility of all the citizens of your country and their safety. So there cannot be room for even a single negative thought in your mind.
There are group discussion rounds and interviews where in lots of questions are asked to you in which unknowingly they try to understand how positive your attitude is. So any situation given to you in the group discussion round, have to come up with a positive story about it, and since there will be many candidates make sure your views are heard by the officers panel.
2. Self Confidence: “Believe in yourself! Have faith in your abilities! Without a humble but reasonable confidence in your own powers you cannot be successful or happy”_ Norman Vincent Peale.
It is very important for you to believe in yourself and that you are fit for the job. There is no meaning of being doubtful about the only thing that you have dreamed of becoming for your entire life. You are entering into an exam after which you will pass out as officers. That means, if you are not confident enough about your own self, you wont be able to lead the soldiers who would be depending on your orders in the future.
Even if you don’t know the answer to a question asked to you in the interview, be confident enough to say that you don’t know it, don’t seem nervous and confused. Its okay to not know a few things you can learn them later. That is the level of confidence you are expected to show.
Lady officer leading her squad: Source
3. Leadership: “Ultimately, leadership is not about glorious crowning acts. It’s about keeping your team focused on a goal and motivated to do their best to achieve it, especially when the stakes are high and the consequences really matter. It is about laying the groundwork for others’ success, and then standing back and letting them shine”. Chris Hadfield .
Good leadership qualities are extremely necessary because you have a responsibility of leading someone’s life. A good listener is always heard well. Your juniors always try to follow you, so how better you can follow orders given to you by your superiors is observed by your subordinates. Even if you lead someone, never miss use your powers. In Defence they say, “Give respect, take respect”. Your subordinates are the reason you are the leader, always remember that. And always be self motivated, because you have the duty to motivate the once who follow you.
4 Fitness: Fitness here does not only refer to the physical fitness, but also the mental fitness. You are opting for this profession so you very well know training is not going to be easy on you. Remember your actual training will start after you feel you are extremely exhausted, so this is where your mental fitness will help you to keep up through your training. Being into defense you are always expected to protect the borders at difficult terrains, so being physically and mentally fit is of utmost importance, if you fail to be so, defence services is not the place for you.
5. Adaptability: Nothing in life remains constant. Change is a part of life, and adaptability is a way of living life. You are expected to follow orders that tell you to do something very unexpected and you might not have time to think over it, you are just supposed to do it. Be ready for the change always. During your training period and also beyond that, there will be situations when after the hardship through the day you go back to your barracks and suddenly you hear a fall in call and you might have to go on a night exercise. So be ready for such things for this was just a simple example of what you might go through.
It is also important because the weather conditions that you will work in are not going to be easy and will keep changing all your life since you are expected to travel a lot for your duties. So, how easily you adapt to the situations and how you react to sudden changes matters a lot.
6. Decisiveness: You are expected to be a good decision maker, since you will have to take decisions within a blink of an eye in difficult situations.
7. Patriotism: India is the country where great men sacrificed their lives for your Nation and hence we got our independence back. They were great examples of patriots. Join these services for the love of your country and not for any other reason. The reason why our defence is so efficient is because there are people out there protecting us because they love our country. So nothing better than being in your dream job for the right reason.
8. Integrity: “United we stand, divided we fall”. You have no option of leaving your fellow fighters alone during difficult situations. Stick to your team under any circumstances and be there for them.
These are the important qualities that you need to posses when you are preparing for the SSB exams and interviews. Hope this will help many woman who dream of serving for the nation.