Op Ginger- Indian Army’s Deadly Surgical Strike To Avenge Beheading


Last year, Indian army did surgical strike and we all know that but not many of us know of a surgical strike which happened in year 2011. It was done for the revenge of beheading of two Indian soldiers. It was important for them to respond and they did in a very badass manner.

Lance Naik Hemraj who was beheaded in the cowardly attack.

In July 2011, Pakistan BAT team cowardly crossed the LOC and struck a Indian army post, killing six and beheading two Indian soldiers. The BAT team took back the heads of Havildar Jaipal Singh Adhikari and Lance Naik Devender Singh of 20 Kumaon.

The Hindu reports say that Indian army chopped heads of three Pakistani soldiers to avenge the beheading of two Indian soldiers. The Hindu published the official document of Operation Ginger which said that Indian army will strike at three sites. The three sites were Police Chowki, a Pakistani army post near Jor, Hifazat and Lashdat lodging point.

Courtesy- The Hindu

The mission was to inflict maximum casualty on the Police Chowki. The day chosen for the operation was 30th August, one day before Eid, when the enemy would be least expecting the retaliation. Before going to the operation, seven reconnaissance of the police chowkis were done. The potential targets were decided after air and physical reconnaissance of the place, which included UAV.

On the day of action, 25 Para commandos reached at the launch pad at 3 am. In next one hour, they were deep within the enemy territory, and near to the Police Chowki. From 4 am to 7 am, they laid clay more mines in the area covering Police chowki.

At 7 a.m., the troops saw four Paki soldiers, who were led by a JCO, walking towards the ambush site. The Pakistans were approaching the site where the laid the mines. As soon as they reached the site, the Para commandos detonated the mines.

Boom! There was an explosion and all four were injured profusely.  Then the commandos lobbed grenades and finished them. One of the soldiers was swept by the river stream flowing along. Quickly, the team decapitated three soldiers and took their rank insignias, weapons and other personal items. They also planted the IED at the back of one of bodies, which shall explode if anyone tries to pick the body.

Representational Image

Soon enough, two Pakistani soldiers who heard the explosion came at the ambush spot. But both of them were killed by the second ambush team waiting at the ambush site. Two other Pakistani soldiers tried to trap the second Indian team but they were finished by the third Indian team. As published in The Hindu as per the official record.

When the Indian soldiers were retreating, they heard a loud sound of explosion which came from the ambush spot. The IED had exploded that was tied behind one of the bodies. As per the idea, two-three soldiers were added to the casualties.

Operation Ginger lasted for 45 minutes and the Indian team left the area by 7:45 am and headed to the LOC. The first team reached at the Indian army post by 12 pm and the last team by 2:30 pm.  Three Pakistani heads — of Subedar Parvez, Havildar Aftab and Naik Imran with the AK-47s, trophies and other were carried by Indian soldiers.

The heads were photographed and buried as per the instructions of seniors. So happened that one of the most senior generals turned up and asked about the heads. When he got to know that they were buried, he was furious and told to burn it. So, they dig it again, burned the heads and then ashes were thrown in Kishenganga river, so that there is no DNA traces are left behind.

Related Content