In an overnight encounter on Monday, three Lashkar terrorist suspected to be from Pakistan were shot dead by the Security forces in North Kashmir under ‘Operation all out’. They even tried capturing the third militant alive but he could not sustain the injuries.
This makes the total count of terrorists killed in North Kashmir reach to 111 with most number of terrorists reported to have been killed in Kupwara with 49 terrorist, followed by 40 in Handwara and 22 in Bandipora.
South Kashmir however has witnessed almost twice as much presence and deaths of local terrorists with a count of 210. The Security forces also aimed at the top commanders in South Kashmir via Operation All Out.
“Though there are few days to go before 2017 ends, but I must say Operation All Out has been successful due to the joint operations of JKP, Army and CRPF. We definitely have an upper hand in the Valley now,” RR Bhatnagar, DG, CRPF, told India Today.
Top Commanders killed in South Kashmir:
- Sabzar Ahmed Bhat (HM Commander) – killed by security forces in Tral on 27 May ’17.
- Junaid Mattoo – LeT Commander killed Anantnag on June 16.
- Bashir Lashkari – He had a bounty of Rs 10 lakh on his head, killed on 1 July.
- Yawar Bashir Wani – District commander Anantnag and Kulgam was killed in Kulgam district on 4 December.
- Fukran – Replaced Abu Ismail in South Kashmir as Pakistani Lashkar terrorist, killed in Quazigund.
- Sajad Ahmed Gilkar – He played a key role in the murder of DSP Muhammad Ayub Pandith and was killed in July this year
- Abu Ismail – The top Laskhar Commander and mastermind of Amarnath Yatra attack was killed on 14 September in Srinagar in Central Kashmir
- Muzamil – Top LeT divisional commander killed on 30 November in Baramulla.
- Khalid – Security Forces took down this Jaish terrorist in Baramulla on 9 October.
- Mahmood Bhai Lashkar – Killed on 18 November in Bandipora.
According to the data suggested by India Today, South Kashmir maintains stronghold of local militants however the security forces have taken down 210 militants successfully by December this year.
Central Kashmir has experienced least number of encounters with around 20 terrorist reported dead. The accessed data also suggests North Kashmir to be the infiltration route for Pakistani terrorist with more than 70% of the operational working near the LOC, with most infiltration attempted during May and June.
Quazigund reported the last encounter where three laskhar terrorist, 2 foreigners and one local commander was killed. There have been successful elimination of 14 terrorist in Kulgam and 8 in Shopian, while Pulwama have had 36 terrorist reported dead and 15 killed in Ananatnag.