Physical fitness is one of the most important prerequisites for joining the Air Force. Irrespective of the branch you are applying for, you must fulfil some basic physical standards. You must be in good physical and mental health and free from any disease/ disability, which is likely to interfere with efficient performance of duties. There should be no evidence of weak constitution or bodily defects. Listed below are some guidelines that identify the general physical requirements that are common for all candidates.
Duration Of Training And Fitness
(a) The duration of training will be 74 weeks for flying and technical branch and 52 weeks in case of Non-Tech branches. However, this period is subject to variations.
(b) The training at AFA demands a very high level of physical fitness. Outdoor activities are given equal importance as academics. Failure to achieve the desired standards in outdoor training and academics will result in termination of your training. Therefore, it is in your interest that you are physically and mentally prepared to undergo the rigours of training. You will be required to participate in athletics, cross country and games, so you should keep yourself fit to undertake physical exercise like sit ups, push-ups, short and long distance running etc. If you have any sportswear/ equipment like football boots, tennis racquet or golf sets, please bring them along with you. The minimum standards expected at AFA are given below:-
The height and weight standards for men and women differ. Click on the images and check out the charts of Physical Standards’ criteria set by IAF. You can save it for future use-
Apart from above mention height and weight ration standards, there are some more points for physical standard which every candidate should know.
• Your chest should be well developed. The minimum range of expansion after full inspiration should be 5 cm.
• There should be no disease of bones and joints of the body.
• You should be free of any past history of mental breakdown or fits.
• Your hearing should be normal without any evidence of present or past disease of the ear, nose and throat.
• There should be no sign of functional or organic disease of the heart and blood vessels. Your blood pressure should also be normal.
• The muscles of the abdomen should be well developed without any enlargement of the liver or spleen. Any evidence of disease of internal organs of the abdomen can be a cause for rejection.
• An un-operated hernia can make you unfit for selection. If operated, this should have been done at least six months prior to the present examination and healing should be complete without any potential for recurrence.
• There should be no hydrocele, varicocele or piles. If operated for hydrocele and/or varicocele, this should have been done at least six months prior to the present examination and healing should be complete without any recurrence.
• Urine examination will be done and any abnormality, if detected, can be a cause for rejection.
• Any disease of the skin, which is likely to cause disability or disfigurement, will also be a cause for rejection.
• Vision will be tested. You must have good binocular vision. In case you have undergone or are detected to have undergone Radial Keratotomy, or any other procedure to improve the visual acuity, you will be permanently rejected.
• You should have sufficient number of natural and sound teeth. A minimum of 14 dental points will be acceptable. When 32 teeth are present, the total dental points are 22. You should not be suffering from severe pyorrhoea.
• The following are conditions pertaining to women that will entail rejection for all Air Force Duties:
o Acute or chronic pelvic infection
o Severe menorrhagia
o Severe dysmenorrhea
o Complete prolapse of uterus
o Pregnancy/ Amenorrhea
o Any other gynecological condition, if so considered by the specialist.
Click here for more details regarding the eligibility standards and refer to official website.